Pages

9.02.2009

I just finished Shiver, by Maggie Stiefvater, the other day. From the first few chapters, I had every reason to expect this book to rival the other dark-teen-romance novels recently released (you know which ones I mean). And in a way, it did. There was nothing obnoxious about this book. The characters were mostly believable and endearing. The story was subtle and simple.

Maybe a little too simple. At times, maybe a little too subtle. The best chapters were the ones from Sam's point of view, when he's a wolf. That doesn't take up a whole lot of the story, unfortunately. I mean, it would seriously hamper the progression of the plot if he was a wolf for much more of the time, but the writing was still at its best then. Perhaps because it seemed that the poetic, lyrical passages were justified. I like Rilke just fine, and I know plenty of people who compose song lyrics in their heads, but Sam as a human was just maybe a little too emo for me. It could just be that I'm almost ten years older than him, and that's why I have trouble taking his brooding, romantic eloquence seriously.

Having said that, it was a lovely book. I'd recommend it to anyone who didn't have anything better to do. But really, in the end, the best part of this book is its cover.

3 comments:

  1. So, since I'm progressing nicely on my reading list already, and it's only week 1 of nannying, I would fit into your category of having nothing better to do. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING has to be better than Beverley Lewis at this point. I don't even know why I am bothering to finish her book. Perhaps just because I started?? Rambling, stopping. Thanks Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perhaps i should have sped up the shipping process. hope is on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Love it. Perhaps I should just drive the 15 miles to my Post Office.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget